City of New Orleans, Office of Performance and Accountability
The Office of Performance and Accountability (OPA) is seeking a bright, civic-minded Assistant Analyst to join our team. As the internal data analytics and performance management team for City Hall, we leverage data to set goals, track performance, and get results across City government.
The Assistant Analyst will work in a supporting role on a wide range of analytics and performance management initiatives, especially ResultsNOLA, the City’s comprehensive performance dashboard.
Our team members come from diverse backgrounds including data science, public policy, law, and the social sciences. We work on a broad spectrum of important projects that impact the entire city, such as blight reduction, public safety, and transportation. Our partners are national leaders in data science, evidence based decision-making, behavioral sciences, and innovation and our work has been recognized by Governing, the International City/County Management Association, National Geographic, and Next City.
We are proud of our work culture, which encourages learning, collaboration, and the pride that comes in knowing that our work is improving the lives of New Orleanians. We’re looking for individuals who share our vision, our values, and our willingness to do what it takes to achieve an ambitious mission.
The Assistant Analyst serves in an unclassified capacity at the pleasure of the Mayor. Per City policy, the Assistant Analyst must be a New Orleans resident.
- Support the ResultsNOLA, the city-wide performance management initiative by:
- Collecting and analyzing data
- Coordinating meetings with departmental staff to analyze context for performance and identify action items for improvement
- Ensuring data and notes are properly entered into site and display correctly
- Support analysis for NOLAlytics projects in collaboration with other OPA staff
- Perform administrative tasks
- Lead or support new projects identified by the team, senior leadership, and yourself
- Professional or internship experience in a data-driven environment
- Detail oriented, as well as delivery/execution oriented
- Experience managing multiple, complex projects at one time
- An understanding of project management techniques and tools
- Service-orientation, organizational savvy, and ability to work well with all of our colleagues in City Hall, including policy makers, IT professionals, and front-line municipal services providers
- Specialized analytic skills, such as statistical analysis, financial analysis, cost-benefit analysis, and/or GIS analysis is a plus. Coding experience, especially in R, is a plus. Microsoft Excel expertise is required
- A bachelor’s degree with quantitative coursework is required.
- Strong commitment to public service and an understanding that even though public service is hard and no-frills, it can be incredibly rewarding
Equal Employment Opportunity
Diversity is a core value of the City of New Orleans, Mayor Landrieu, and our team and it is reflected in our hiring practices. We strongly encourage women, people of color, LGBT individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, and veterans to apply. The City of New Orleans is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.
Please e-mail a resume and a cover letter with the subject “Assistant Analyst” to firstname.lastname@example.org before April 28, 2017. Candidates who look like a potentially good fit will be invited to a first interview with the team’s director, Oliver Wise. A short-list of finalists will be invited for a second round group interview. We anticipate a start date in May/June 2017.
Final Date for Filing Applications:
April 28, 2017