Attorney II – Law Clerk
Department: Orleans Parish Juvenile Court
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed in this document are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- Provide legal representation for Orleans Parish Juvenile Court by conducting research for Judges. Maintain ongoing list of assignments underway by all law clerks.
- Research legal issues in cases within the Court’s jurisdiction, including cases involving abuse and neglect, termination of parental rights, adoption and delinquency, which may involve issues in state statutory law, case law, state and federal constitutional law or other sources of law.
- Research legal issues relating to youth transferred to Criminal District Court. Track processing of case in Juvenile Court and Criminal District Court.
- Research issues relating to Juvenile Court administration, including issues in labor and employment law, constitutional mandates, contracts and leases, public records requests, etc.
- Assist the Court in Continued Custody Hearing in delinquency cases by providing information to the Court regarding a youth’s prior record, as well as giving advice on legal issues.
- Draft legal memoranda, letters, pleadings and any other documents as requested.
- Attend meetings or functions representing the Chief Judge of Orleans Parish Juvenile Court and provide reports/updates regarding same.
- Respond to Subpoenas duces tecum issued by other courts by communicating with attorneys, filing pleadings, arguing motions.
- Maintain Orleans Parish Juvenile Court Library.
- Assist in all aspects of grant writing as needed.
- Assist Clerk of Court with adoptions when requested in writing.
- Assist with law intern program, including the interview and selection process, as required. Supervise work of law interns.
- Perform any other related duties as assigned by the Judges.
Job Requirements and Difficulty of Work
- Juris Doctorate Degree and a license to practice law in Louisiana are required. Must be in good standing with the Bar Association, preferably with two (2) years’ legal experience with social welfare agencies or similar agencies, in the community.
- Must be able to demonstrate good judgment and logic in the analysis and legal interpretations of laws, rulings and opinions applicable to existing situations or cases.
- Must have solid legal knowledge, especially with regard to law and court procedures relating to youth, including the Louisiana Children’s Code.
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing with co-workers, supervisors, other departments, law firms/attorneys, social service agencies, probation department, other federal, state and local agencies and the public, including being sensitive to professional ethics, gender, racial and cultural diversities and disabilities.
- Ability to deal courteously and effectively with staff, associates, judges, attorneys and the public as required.
- Ability to provide public access to or maintain confidentiality of Court information and records according to state law.
- Ability to work in an efficient, timely and organized manner.
- Ability to comply with all employer and department policies and work rules, including, but not limited to, attendance, safety, drug-free workplace, personal conduct and dress code.
- Ability to competently serve the public with diplomacy and respect, including ability to professionally handle situations with occasional encounters with irate/hostile persons.
- Ability to properly operate standard office equipment, such as computer, typewriter, calculator, telephone, copier and fax machine.
Incumbent performs duties according to a flexible, customary routine with priorities determined by the Judges, Fiscal Administrator and/or Judicial Administrator and service needs of the Court and the public.
How to apply
Mail resume, cover letter, at least three professional references and salary requirements to:
Orleans Parish Juvenile Court
1100-B Milton Street
New Orleans, Louisiana 70122
Fax: (504) 658-9556
Resumes must be either .doc or .pdf.
No phone calls will be accepted.
View benefits and Applicant/Employee Acknowledgment