Energy Efficiency Program Manager
The City of New Orleans seeks to retain an Energy Efficiency Program Manager to work in the Mayor’s Office of Resilience and Sustainability (ORS). The goal in creating this new position is to help make New Orleans healthier, more sustainable, and more prosperous by improving the energy efficiency and performance of buildings in the City. The new Energy Efficiency Program Manager will work in partnership with public and private sector entities to create innovative, practical solutions that cut energy waste, support occupant energy management, and improve energy policies focused primarily on large buildings with emphasis on the commercial, industrial and multifamily building sectors.
In 2015, the City of New Orleans launched the world’s first plan focused entirely on city resilience, Resilient New Orleans. The resilience strategy also established ORS to coordinate projects and programs across city departments, public agencies, and with non-governmental partners. In 2016, the City of New Orleans began the development of a comprehensive, communitywide climate action strategy to commence implementation in 2017, and secured membership in the City Energy Project network. A key component of both the resilience and climate action strategies is achieving significant energy savings across the City of New Orleans, and a major focus is improving energy efficiency and occupant use in large buildings through partnership with City Energy Project.
The City of New Orleans seeks an Energy Efficiency Program Manager to work with the Mayor’s Office of Resilience and Sustainability (ORS) and other city agencies and community partners to coordinate the execution of initiatives designed to advance energy efficiency in large existing commercial, industrial and multifamily buildings. The Energy Efficiency Program Manager will be part of the City Energy Project network of similar positions located in cities across the country to support building energy efficiency policy initiatives, and will therefore be engaged at the local, regional, and national levels to advance the city’s goals.
The role calls for a balance of leadership and negotiating skills, as the Energy Efficiency Program Manager will interface with key influencers and decision-makers within city government, the real estate sector, utility companies, industry, and other organizations in the community. In addition, this role will require flexibility and strong organizational, written, and communication skills. Successful candidates will have a track record that demonstrates their ability to work independently, to contribute effectively as a member of a team, and to collaborate across organizations.
- Develop and execute a detailed work plan to improve energy efficiency in large existing buildings throughout New Orleans
- Coordinate with privately owned and managed large commercial, industrial, and multifamily buildings citywide and with City departments for City buildings
- Lead various work streams including but not limited to outreach and education of stakeholders, engagement with local businesses, facility managers and the energy utility, drafting internal and public-facing documents, management of contracted services, and coordinating city processes
- Develop and manage strong relationships with key stakeholders and partners in the community
- Maintain appropriate communication and information flow internally in the City and externally to local stakeholders and the City Energy Project network
- Conduct basic analysis of large data sets related to real estate and energy metrics
- Conduct administrative tasks such as taking meeting minutes and drafting and circulating summary reports
Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline; Advanced degree preferred
- Minimum three years of experience in a professional position involving responsibility for projects in a team setting
- Knowledge and experience related to building sciences, commercial real estate, or energy efficiency in buildings
- Exceptional strategic thinking, analytical, and interpersonal skills are required
- Ability to solve problems and influence decision-making processes in a diplomatic and collaborative manner
- Experience managing projects in a team setting, including developing project plans and managing timelines
- Experience collaborating with diverse stakeholders to achieve goals
- Comfort with public speaking in varied settings, ranging from working groups to conferences
- Excellent writing skills and ability to tailor messages and materials to different audiences
- Effective team player and communicator in a dispersed team
- Experience living and working in New Orleans
- Experience working within municipal government on policy, particularly related to environment, sustainability, resilience, equity, or public health
- Experience working with utilities on energy efficiency programming, rate design, or other related issues
- Experience with negotiations, advocacy, politics, and/or inter-organizational cooperation
- Experience working as a consultant to private or public entities
This position requires travel outside of the New Orleans metro area less than 10% of the time.
Final Date for Filing Applications:
To submit an application for this position, email a resume and a brief cover letter with Energy Efficiency Program Manager in the subject line to: Courtney Bagneris at email@example.com.
This position is partially funded by a grant to the City from the City Energy Project, a joint initiative of the Institute for Market Transformation and Natural Resources Defense Council. It is expected that this position will be full-time for 12 months, commencing when the position is filled and may be renewed through December of 2018 based on overall project progress and employee performance.