Faubourg Delachaise Neighborhood Association
|Type:||Neighborhood or civic association|
Magazine St. to Louisiana to Tchoupitoulas to Peniston St.
|Number of members:||100|
|Contact name:||Debby Pigman|
|Contact phone:||(941) 266-5671|
The mission of the Faubourg Delachaise Neighborhood Association is to enhance the neighborhood and articulate concerns to city and state government as well as to help in moving New Orleans forward.
1. to work with NORDC on the Lyons Center
2. to deal with blight inthe neighborhood
3. to work with the NOPD on neighborhood and city issues
4. to improve the quality of life in the neighborhood
The Faubourg Delachaise was originally formed between 1820 and 1823 when Philippe Auguste Delachaise purchased the plots of land comprising the area. In 1855, the The Faubourg Delachaise was originally formed between 1820 and 1823 land was subdivided, and the new streets were named after family members: Delachaise, Aline, Foucher, Antonine, Amelia, and Peniston. Delachaise Ground, a large park bounded by Delachaise, Laurel, Foucher, and Tchoupitoulas Streets occupied much of the area until 1885, when it was divided into parcels and sold to home builders. The Delachaise Brick Works, a producer of high quality and much sought after bricks, was located across Foucher from Delachaise Ground and operated in the neighborhood for many years. Many of the homes in the neighborhood were built between 1855 and 1900 and still retain their original character and details.