The Treme Recreation Community Center pool is closed for repairs. details here. The rest of the center is open for classes and activities. The pool is expected to re-open in early February.
Due to the Treme pool closure, NORDC offers shuttle service from Treme to the Joe W. Brown Pool.
Joe W. Brown Pool, 5601 Read Blvd.
The complimentary shuttle from the Treme Rec Center departs Monday through Thursday at 5:15pm for the 6-7pm Fit and Flex class at Joe W. Brown and returns to Treme after the class.
Lifeguard Prerequisite Skills Challenge Class
Feb 2 & 9, 6-8pm
March 2, 16 & 30, 6-8pm
Ages 15 and older. Free!
This class is designed for those with swimming experience interested in becoming lifeguards but are unsure if they have the proper skills. Students will perform basic lifeguard skills, and then receive feedback from NORDC Senior Lifeguards. Registration is on-going but limited to 6 people per class. Please sign up at the Joe W. Brown Natatorium Desk. Come dressed to swim!
About NORDC Pools
NORDC operates 11 outdoor pools through the summer, and 2 indoor pools - Joe W. Brown and Treme - open to the public year around. Enjoy our indoor pools no matter how gloomy the weather may be!
We offer instruction and recreational opportunities to individuals of all ages, abilities, and aquatic interests including swim lessons at all levels from beginning to advanced. We have a wide range of programs including aquatic activities for seniors and those with physical disabilities. Lifeguard certifications are also available.
Pools have regular hours for open-lap, aquatic fitness, and swim Lessons.
During the summer months each pool attracts an average of over 8,000 participants per week.
1. Swimming is permitted only while lifeguards are present and on duty.
2. Children under 10 years of age must be accompanied by an adult 18 years of age or over.
3. All children who are not toilet-trained must have a swim diaper and a bathing suit and/or plastic pants.
4. Running, rough play, horseplay, dunking and/or throwing children is not allowed. Inappropriate language will not be tolerated.
5. Excessive breath holding and breath holding games are prohibited.
6. Before entering the pool, patrons must shower with soap and rinse.
7. Glass containers, food, drinks, gum, animals, tobacco products, alcohol, drugs and firearms are prohibited from NORDC pool decks and locker rooms.
8. Children less than 8” taller than water depth must be accompanied by parent, guardian or instructor IN THE WATER, unless swimmer has demonstrated he/she could pass a deep end test each time the child attends the pool.
9. Persons with rashes, open wounds or sores are not allowed in the water.
10. Lined swimsuits or bathing suits are required to swim. No cutoffs, jean shorts, or clothing other than swimming attire permitted. Gym shorts, sports bras, under clothing are not considered proper swim attire. A t-shirt and/or shorts made from nylon, rayon, or polyester may be worn over a bathing suit while in the water.
11. Diving, flips, twists and backwards jumps are not allowed.
12. No climbing, hanging, or tampering with lane lines, lifeguard or facility equipment.
13. Only one person on a ladder at a time.
14. Lifeguards must approve all toys and flotation devices – SCUBA and other large equipment is prohibited
15. NORDC is not responsible for any lost or stolen items.
16. Lightning Policy – The pool will require immediate closure of all pools in the event that lightning or thunder is present in or around the area. The pools will remain closed until 30 minutes past the last visible lightning strike or episode of thunder.
17. The lifeguard is the authority in the pool and locker rooms. Failure to comply with the rules may result in dismissal from the pool and locker room areas.
If you have any questions or concerns please contact Aquatics Director, Christine Aguirre at firstname.lastname@example.org. For lifeguarding opportunities, check out our employment page for more information.