Emergency Kit Supplies:
Everyone should have an Emergency Kit ready to shelter at home or elsewhere, for at least three days. Each member of the family should be able to locate the kit in the case of an emergency.
Update your kit at the start and end of hurricane season. Make sure that food and medicine haven't expired.
At Least a 3-day Supply of Food and Water
- Foods that are easy to make and won't spoil, like canned soup or fruits, peanut butter, and canned meat.
- Pet food
- Manual can opener
- Prescription medications, at least a week supply's and a complete list of medications for each person in your household.
- Medical supplies like a walking cane, or hearing aids with extra batteries.
- Extra pair of glasses or contacts
- Batteries & Battery-powered radio
- First aid kit
- Evacuation route map (Official Louisiana Hurricane Survival Guide)
- Extra set of car keys and house keys
- Clothing and bedding
- Instructions on how to turn off utilities such as electricity, gas and water if authorities advise you to do so (Remember, you'll need a professional to turn them back on).
- Duct tape, paper and pencils
- Plastic sheeting
To Go Bag
Each member of the family, including pets, should have thier own bag with supplies for an evacuation. Do not pack supplies in black garbage bags. Use canvas bags, backpacks, or other materials that will hold up across travel when possible. These bags should include:
- Change of clothing and undergarments for at least three days. You can also include layers of warm clothing and rain gear.
- Non-perishable food such as granola bars.
- Soap, deodorant, toothbrush and other personal hygiene items.
- Vitamins and/or prescription medicines, including a list of medications, dosages, and reason for taking.
- Glasses or contact lenses
- First Aid kit
- Children's toys, books or games.
- Contact and meeting place information with phone numbers, a map and an extra set of house and/or car keys.
- Cash and extra credit/debit cards.
There are a number of important papers you will want to take copies of with you in a waterproof container.
- Driver's license or personal identification
- Social Security card
- Home deed or lease
- Insurance policies
- Birth and marriage certificates
- Stocks, bonds and other negotiable certificates
- Wills, deeds, and copies of recent tax returns
- Your child(ren)'s school contact information and school/ID
Last updated: 7/20/2016 3:44:06 PM
Was this page helpful?