Apply for a Permit
All VCC Permits can be applied for using the One Stop App
The VCC helps preserve the “quaint and distinctive” character of the Vieux Carré by regulating changes to their significant features. The VCC does not prevent owners from making changes, but rather works with them to ensure that planned changes are appropriate to the character and style of their buildings.
All work undertaken on the exterior of any building, old or new, in the Vieux Carré, whether it is visible from the street or not, requires a permit from the Commission. The exterior of a building includes all elements exposed to the weather, including front, side and back walls, patios, galleries, balconies, floors, fences, signs, exterior stairs, passageways, carriageways, and sidewalks.
VCC permits are required for the following exterior work:
- Any restoration, alteration, reconstruction, demolition, or new construction that affects the property or exterior of a building, if the project requires a permit from the Department of Safety & Permits
- Any project that affects the exterior, even if a permit is not required from the Department of Safety & Permits. This includes any exterior painting (including to match existing), courtyard paving, fencing, weatherboard replacement, roofing, etc.
VCC permits are required for the following interior work:
- Projects that affect the structural design and integrity of a building within the Vieux Carré
- Projects that affect the exterior of a building
To avoid unnecessary expenses the VCC highly recommends not purchasing building materials, millwork, lighting, security cameras, signage, etc. until the applicant is phycically in possession of a signed VCC permit. VCC permits are not valid until physically picked up and signed for in the VCC office.
How to apply for a permit
- LOCATE the property on the Vieux Carré Ratings map to determine the architectural and historical significance rating.
- REVIEW the VCC Guidelines for work to the exterior of a property located in the Vieux Carré.
- APPLY online using the One Stop App. For more information on the documents necessary for review, please refer to Submission Requirements. THE VCC STAFF WILL NO LONGER ACCEPT EMAILED OR FAXED APPLICATIONS. PLEASE SUBMIT ONLINE USING THE ONE STOP APP OR IN PERSON. Please note that if you chose to apply in person a permit will not be issued immediately and may take several days to process.
- Obtain all other required PERMITS.
The VCC staff will notify you when the permit is available to be collected.
For more information, please refer to the Application Review Process and to search all permits issued by the City of New Orleans, please visit the One Stop page.