Navigation Search Map (504) 658-4000

Translate this page

The City of New Orleans

Mayor Mitchell J. Landrieu

Frequently Asked Questions

How high do I have to elevate my house?

You must elevated to the higher of BFE or ABFE. The BFE for any property can be found on the City's Flood Insurance Rate Maps. The ABFE for any property inside the levees is 3 feet above the "HEAG" (highest existing adjacent grade) on the lot. In New Orleans, this means 3' above the curb where a property meets the road. If there is no curb, then ABFE is 3' above the crown of the road in front of the property. There is an exception to this for historic properties, which simply reduces the height of the ABFE to 18" above HEAG. The only way to determine whether BFE or ABFE is higher is to know the exact elevation of HEAG; this can only be obtained from an Elevation Certificate or, if none exists, through the work of a licensed engineer or surveyor. 

How much will I have to pay for any of my elevation project?
Can I get Increased Cost of Compliance (ICC) money?
If I don't want to have flood insurance, do I still have to elevate my house?
I am interested in an elevation grant, but I was a Road Home participant.
Why does it take so long to get a mitigation grant? I submitted my application months ago.
Add to Twitter Add to Facebook Add to LinkedIn Add to Google Bookmarks Add to Reddit

Last updated: 7/25/2012 3:56:32 PM

Was this page helpful?


 Security code