Under supervised direction by the Chief Procurement Officer, performs professional work of advanced difficulty in the technical and administrative functions of the purchasing activities of the government, including purchasing and contract administration. This position is responsible for the procurement of construction, supplies and professional services that are to be conducted in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws, ordinances, rules and regulations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- This position is responsible for procuring or coordinating the procurement of architectural and engineering services, construction, and related supplies and services required by various departments in accordance with all applicable federal,state and local laws, policies and procedures
- Assist in Preparing highly technical and complex specifications, contracts and solicitation documents, including all related research and value analysis.
- Prepare and analyze competitive sealed bids, competitive sealed proposals, requests for quotations and requests for statements of qualifications.
- Identify and notify potential sources.
- Conduct pre-bid and pre-proposal conferences.
- Coordinate and supervise activities of evaluation committees.
- Recommend lowest responsive, responsible bidder on IFB's, most advantageous offer on RFP's and most qualified for architects/engineers.
- Edit requisitions and confer with departments regarding requirements, specifications, quantity, quality and delivery. Recommend alternatives that would result in greater value.
- Confer with consultants, contractors and suppliers in order to acquaint them with procurement policies and procedures and to obtain information on required products and services.
- Negotiate with consultants and contractors regarding, specifications, scope of work, prices, terms and conditions.
- Perform contract administration, including liaison between suppliers and departments, compliance with contract terms and conditions, compliance with grant requirements, negotiation of contract amendments, extensions and change orders. Analyze cost and price data from vendors. Perform contract audits when required.
- Review and execute purchase orders, change orders and other documents within delegated authority.
- Maintain the integrity of the public procurement process.
- Analyze current procurement activities and recommend improvements through more efficient procurement methods, e-procurement, privatization, quantity discounts, standardization, value analysis or cooperative purchasing.
- Provide guidance and assistance to other employees, as required.
- Research market sources and suppliers to locate and ensure most cost effective and competitive pricing for the purchase of supplies and services.
- Engage in procurement planning with client departments. Routinely meet and communicate with client departments in order to identify and provide high quality service to meet client service delivery requirements on a timely basis. Provide accurate, complete and up-to-date information in a courteous, efficient and timely manner.
- Effectively communicate purchasing policies and procedures to all personnel and interpret said policies and procedures as necessary.
- Maintain individual workload statistics.
- Prepare and maintain accurate records and documentation on all solicitations, responses, purchases, contracts, correspondence and related follow-up.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education and Training: Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in Business or Public Administration, Business Law, Finance, Purchasing, or closely related field.
Work Related Experience: Minimum three (3) years progressively responsible experience in purchasing.
- Certified Professional Public Buyer (CPPB} or equivalent certifications, or the ability to obtain the CPPB within three (3) years of hire.
- Knowledge of Louisiana State Public Bid law
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of business practices related to purchasing.
- Considerable knowledge of contract documents, solicitation methods and contract administration related to procurement
- Good knowledge of laws, policies and procedures governing public procurement.
- Good knowledge of contract law.
- Good knowledge of mathematics to perform computations and collect statistics for basic cost and price analysis.
- Good knowledge of infrastructure project delivery methods, including design-bid-build, design build, construction manager-at-risk, and job order contracts.
- Some knowledge of cost accounting as it relates to price and cost analysis.
- Considerable skill in researching and preparing highly complex specifications, solicitations and contract documents.
- Considerable skill in negotiating contracts.
- Working skill in project management.
- Working skill with computers, including automated purchasing systems and common office software and productivity tools.
- Ability to read, interpret, explain and properly apply rules, regulations, laws, policies and procedures.
- Ability to develop effective and cooperative working relationships with other departments, employees, suppliers and other public agencies.
- Ability to use judgment and initiative in making recommendations and resolving problems that are highly complex and sensitive in nature.
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing, including the ability to convey complex and technical subjects in a clear, concise and positive manner.
- Ability to establish schedules and to complete projects on a timely basis.
- Ability to successfully deal with all persons in a fair and equitable manner.
- Ability to make difficult decisions and award contracts impartially and objectively.
- Possess complete integrity and a high sense of personal and professional ethics.
How to apply
Please send resumes to Mary Kay Kleinpeter-Zamora. Resumes can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org Please reference Purchasing Agent in the subject line.
Or mail to 1300 Perdido St. New Orleans, La. 70112 Suite 4W07. If mailing resume please mark envelope with “Purchasing Agent”.