Frequently Asked Questions


What defines a property as being a rental property?

Rental property includes single-family dwellings, duplexes, apartments, town homes and condominiums that are leased, rented, or occupied by a person or persons other than the owner.

Who is responsible for registering the property?

The property owner, registered agent , or management company is responsible for completing the registration process.

Do I have to register if my rental property is not occupied?


What is a parcel?

Parcel is defined as a group or bundle.

Generally, there is one tax bill number associated with a parcel.

I own several parcels with doubles, and large buildings. When should I register?

If you,

  • Own three doubles: Registration falls in the 1-3 unit phase for all three doubles
  • Own one single, 10-unit building, and a 50+ unit complex: Registration falls under three different phases and registration should be submitted separately at the designated times.
  • 50+ unit complex: registration falls in the 50+ phase     Jan. 1, 2024 – Feb. 15, 2024
  • 10 unit building: registration falls in the 4-49 phase       July 1, 2025 – Aug. 15, 2025
  • One single unit: registration falls in the 1-3 phase          Jan. 1, 2025 – Feb. 15, 2025


Do I need another inspection if I had one by Housing Authority of New Orleans (HANO) ?

Landlords are responsible to perform their own inspections or walk-thru of the property to confirm compliance with minimum standards which includes a walk-thru with the tenant, walk -thru with HANO inspector or in the ordinary course of maintenance.

Is there a fee charged for registration?

There is NOT a fee for timely registration. If your property is registered in the designated time frame, which is based on the total number of units on a parcel, you will not incur a fee.

Can someone help with submitting my application?

Yes. You may visit the office located at 1340 Poydras St, Suite 800 Monday – Friday 9AM-4PM for assistance.

Who can I talk to if my landlord is trying to evict me or if I need legal help?

Resources can be found by contacting the following agencies:

Southeast Louisiana Legal Services Client Services - SLLS  (504) 529-1000

Louisiana State Bar Association Find Legal Help ( (504) 566-1600

How can tenants report violations?

Tenants can call 311 or submit their complaint onlineMyNOLA Portal – New Orleans' primary source of local government information and non-emergency services. (

You may also email