Frequently Asked Questions about Orleans Parish Juvenile Court

Understanding the juvenile court process can be challenging for families. To help provide clarity, we've compiled answers to some of the most common questions we receive:

1. Where are Juveniles Detained While Awaiting Trial?

  • Juveniles are typically held at either the Youth Study Center (100 Milton Street) or the Juvenile Section of Orleans Parish Prison.

2. Is there parking available at the Juvenile Court Building?

  • Yes, there are three public parking lots adjacent to the courthouse: two on Loyola Street and one on Poydras Street.

3. Do I need to hire a lawyer for my child?

  • All children appearing before Orleans Juvenile Court must have legal representation. If you cannot afford a lawyer, the court will appoint a Public Defender or another court-appointed advocate. Please note that even with a Public Defender, there are fees ranging from $35.00 to an amount set by the presiding Judge.

4. Can I visit my child if they are being detained?

  • Yes, visitation rules are generally set by the facility holding your child. However, both facilities typically limit the number of visitors allowed on each juvenile's Visitors List.

5. Is it possible to speak with the Judge before my case is heard?

  • No, the rules regarding judicial contact prohibit any party involved in a case from contacting the Judge prior to the case being heard.

6. Will my Child have a Criminal record After This Process?

  • If your child has been arrested, they will have an arrest record. If they are "adjudicated delinquent" (found guilty), they will have a record of this adjudication. In some cases, these records may be eligible for removal through a legal process called "expungement." Consult with a private attorney to discuss this option.

7. What are the Consequences if my Child or I Fail to Appear in Court?

  • A warrant will be issued for your and your child's immediate arrest, and you will be required to pay a $100.00 Contempt Fine before the warrant is recalled. In case of a valid emergency, the reviewing Judge may excuse your absence on a case-by-case basis.

8. Can my child remain enrolled in school after being arrested and detained?

  • It depends on the nature of the charges and their relation to school attendance. In some cases, an immediate suspension may be issued, followed by a hearing. Contact your child's school directly for more information.

9. Will my child continue to receive education while detained?

  • Yes, both the Youth Study Center and the Juvenile Section of Orleans Parish Prison offer continuing education courses operated by the school system.

We hope these answers provide a helpful starting point. If you have further questions or need additional assistance, please don't hesitate to contact Orleans Parish Juvenile Court at 504-658-9500.