February 16, 2024 | From City of New Orleans

City of New Orleans Announces Temporary Streetlight Outage on Interstate

I10 610 light repairs


NEW ORLEANS — The City of New Orleans today announced that the Department of Public Works (DPW) is collaborating with the Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development (DOTD) on an ongoing streetlight project along Interstate 10, from Florida Avenue to Iroquois Street, and a portion of Interstate 610 (See map). As part of this initiative, DPW has temporarily deactivated the streetlights along this stretch to facilitate repairs and upgrades by DOTD.

This comprehensive project involves DOTD upgrading the lighting infrastructure, including the replacement of existing components with a more efficient system aimed at enhancing visibility, safety and energy efficiency for all users of the interstate. The project is approximately 50 percent completed and is expected to be wrapped up by the end of this year, weather permitting.

Undertaken through a City/State agreement, the project embodies a collaborative endeavor between the two entities. DOTD's contribution covers 90 percent of the design and construction costs, while the City is funding the remaining 10 percent. Additionally, following the completion of construction, the City acquires ownership, maintenance and operation of the lighting system. 

DPW and DOTD appreciate residents' patience and understanding during this period of improvement.


# # #