Community Relations Unit
Community Relations is an integral unit of the New Orleans Fire Department, acting as liaison between citizens, city government and private industry. Community Relations is divided into four subdivisions: Public Information, Fire Education, Community Affairs, and Fire Recruitment.
Public Information Section
The Public Information section and the Public Information Officers are primarily responsible for the prompt and accurate dissemination and distribution of all important incidences and occurrences involving the New Orleans Fire Department and its members. This information is distributed by NOFD Press Release immediately following any occurrence.
The Public Information Officer on duty responds 7 days a week, 24 hours a day to
- Three alarm fires or greater.
- All fires with fatalities or injuries (civilian or fire personnel)
- Fires in the French Quarters
- Level II or Level III Hazardous Materials Incidents
- Evacuations (hotels, neighborhoods, high-rises, hospitals, schools, etc.)
- Explosions (Gas, Electrical Transformers, etc.)
- Whenever the Incident Commander deems necessary
Fire Education Section
The Fire Education section provides the citizens of New Orleans with fire safety information through our many Community Outreach Programs and Fire Safety Presentations. Additionally, the section also handles Fire Recruitment and special projects.
Community Relations plays a pivotal role in organizing National and International Fire Service conventions, as well as intra-departmental events. In conjunction with the Fire Prevention Division, Community Relations also runs the Juvenile Fire Settlers Program.
Community Relations also processes and responds to citizen feedback.
Additional Useful Links