Navigation Search Map (504) 658-4000

Translate this page

The City of New Orleans

Mayor Mitchell J. Landrieu

Three Alarm Fire in the 1000 Block of Decatur St.

September 26, 2013

Thursday, September 26, 2013 at 7:20 a.m. the New Orleans Fire Department (NOFD) was dispatched to a report of a fire at 1011 Decatur St. The first company arrived on the scene at 7:23 a.m., finding heavy smoke throughout the second and third floor of this three-story restaurant building, but they were unable to find the source of the smoke.  NOFD suppression personnel entered an adjacent three-story, occupied mixed-use building at 1005 Decatur St. and were able to locate the fire in a second floor apartment. By this time the fire had spread to the third floor and roof.  A 2nd-alarm was struck at 7:44 a.m., enabling firefighters to contain the fire to 1005 Decatur St. and preventing its spread to adjacent buildings to the left, right and detached apartments in the rear.  A third alarm was struck at 8:22 a.m., bringing in extra manpower to relieve first-up crews and to conduct overhaul of the fire building and to search the adjacent structures to insure the fire had not spread.  There were no injuries reported and the cause of the fire is currently under investigation. 


According to Superintendent McConnell, “incidents like this emphasize the importance of having Thermal Imaging Equipment on every fire apparatus”, an endeavor that is currently being pursued through donations and fundraising being conducted by the NOFD.  The Superintendent also stated that, “by sending in multiple crews, each with Thermal Imaging Equipment, the ability to locate a fire’s origin in a building with multiple compartments or hidden fire is increased dramatically”. In all 28 units carrying 75 NOFD suppression personnel were used to bring this incident under control at 9:02 a.m.  The New Orleans Police Department, Entergy, New Orleans Emergency Medical Services and the American Red Cross all assisted with the mitigation of this incident. 



1st alarm:                    7:20 a.m.                               

On scene:                  7:23 a.m.                     

2nd alarm:                   7:44 a.m.         

3rd alarm:                    8:22 a.m.         

Under control:           9:02 a.m.

Units:                          28       

Firefighters:               75       

Injuries:                      None

Cause:                       Under Investigation









Add to Twitter Add to Facebook Add to LinkedIn Add to Google Bookmarks Add to Reddit

Last updated: 9/27/2013 2:55:15 PM

Was this page helpful?


 Security code