Driver’s Permits (or CPNC permits) are required for operators of for hire vehicles - AT Taxicab (Wheelchair-accessible), Pedicabs, Animal Drawn, Courtesy, Limousine, Taxicab, Non-Emergency Medical Transportation, General Charter, Sightseeing - to ensure that every City of New Orleans’ citizen and visitor has access to safe, efficient, reliable, and accessible for hire transportation. Before applying, please familiarize yourself with New Orleans City Code, Chapter 162 and govern yourself accordingly.
Additionally, we strive to ensure that every customer is treated with courtesy, dignity and genuine hospitality. We understand that these services are essential to the city’s overall tourism and business industry; therefore, our goal is to work with the citizens, for hire industries, tourism industries, and various stakeholders to implement the highest service standard. These service standards will ensure customer satisfaction and promote the core values and objectives of the New Orleans Taxicab and For Hire Vehicle Bureau.
Duration: 2 years, expiring on applicant's birthday
Must be at least 18 years of age
Valid Louisiana Chauffeur’s License or Commercial Driver’s License (CDL)
An applicant for a driver’s permit must have resided for the past 6 months and presently resides in this parish or in one of the listed contiguous or non-contiguous parishes
Must be able to read and write English
Successfully complete a driver’s training course for new applicants administered by a company or third party company approved by the bureau
New driver applicant must achieve a minimum score of 70% on an examination, covering the driver training items, administered by the Bureau. Any applicant who fails the examination three times may not retest for 45 days
Shall never have been convicted of anywhere under the laws of this state or any other state or of the United States of the offense or offenses equivalent thereto of homicide, aggravated rape, aggravated battery, simple rape, aggravated kidnapping, aggravated burglary, armed robbery, attempted aggravated battery, attempted aggravated rape, attempted aggravated robbery, aggravated assault, or sale of narcotics
Shall never have been convicted of multiple felony offenses
Shall not have been convicted of pandering, prostitution, soliciting for prostitution or illegal possession or use of narcotics within five years of the date of filing an application; nor shall the applicant have served any part of a sentence thereof within five years before the date of filing such application
Successfully complete annual driver’s training course administered by a company approved by the Bureau
Must successfully complete drug screening within ten (10) days of application
- Federal background check: $50
- Drug test: $20
- Driving test fee: $10
- Issuance of permit: $40
- All fees are paid to different offices at different times. Fees at approved facility may change without notice.
Step 1: Collect the following documents and information
- Completed application (if brought into the office completed, it must be notarized – if it is filled out and signed in person, it does not need to be notarized). The same application may be used for both new permit applications and renewals.
- Valid LA Chauffeur’s or CDL license - (with the exception of Animal Drawn)
- Proof of Residency. The applicant must reside in Orleans, Jefferson, St. Bernard, St. Tammany, Plaquemines, St. Charles, St. John the Baptist, or St. James Parish. Acceptable Documents: Utility bill, water bill, landline telephone bill, mortgage or notarized rental agreement in applicant’s name.
- Certified motor vehicle record (MVR) for past 2 yrs. (referred to as motor vehicle record). The report must be dated within the past 30 days and it must come directly from the state DMV
- Defensive driving certificate from Metropolitan Safety Council (class offered on-line at metrosafety.org) – or – from the Victor Manning Driving School. You must provide the original certificate.
- Letter from the company the applicant will be driving for (referred to as a line letter)
- Letter from an approved company indicating they’ve completed training (this is required only for a Pedicab Permit now, but will be required for all drivers in the future)
Step 2: Bring all of these documents to the New Orleans Taxicab and For Hire Vehicle Bureau office at the One Stop Shop, on the 7th floor of City Hall. The office will then schedule your:
Once all of these requirements are satisfied, the applicant will provide $40 payment for issuance of the permit itself (MasterCard, Discover Card, Cashier’s Check or Money Order. No cash. Credit cards must be issued in the applicant's name.)
Depending on what type of operator's permit (AT Taxicab (Wheelchair-accessible), Pedicabs, Animal Drawn, Courtesy, Limousine, Taxicab, Non-Emergency Medical Transportation, General Charter, Sightseeing), further restrictions and documentation will apply, please refer to the New Orleans City Code Section 162. If additional information is needed, please contact Karen Thibodeaux (email@example.com) or Yolanda Brownfield (firstname.lastname@example.org) or the Taxicab Bureau: (504) 658-7176.
Issuing agencyTaxicab and For Hire Vehicle Bureau