Navigation Search Map (504) 658-4000

Translate this page

Winter Weather, Boil Water Advisory

Residents and visitors are advised to take precautions during winter weather. A boil water advisory is in effect New Orleans East only, excluding the Lower 9th Ward, due to a drop in water pressure.

Visit NOLA Ready

The City of New Orleans

Mayor Mitchell J. Landrieu

Help with One Stop App

Do you have questions about how to apply for a permit or license online? How to pay for a permit? How to search the One Stop App for information about permits, licenses, code violations or planning projects? We can help - please see the Frequently Asked Questions below. If you don't find the answer to your question below, email us at

Open all

New One Stop App users

Paying online

Mechanical and Electrical

Log in issues


Oversize Load

Renewals and Extensions

Monitoring and updating permits

Short Term Rentals


Where are the mechanical/electrical permits?

Only Class A license holders are permitted to file mechanical or electrical permits. In order to protect your license from unauthorized use, we require all Class A license holders who would like to file online to come to the One Stop Shop in person with photo ID to verify their accounts.

If you've already registered for the One Stop App, make sure you know the email address you used to register with. In most cases, we can link your license(s) to your web account the same day.

If you come in before you've registered for the One Stop App, make sure you know what email address you plan to register with. After registering, you must notify us at, and we will complete the process of linking your license(s) with your new web account.

What kinds of permits and licenses can I apply for online?

Click here to see the most up-to-date list of permits and licenses you can apply for online. 

If you have a Class A Electrical, Class A Gasfitter, or Class A AC/Refrigeration license, see here for instructions on how to request access online to the permit types your license allows.

What kinds of payment do you take online?

We can take Visa, MasterCard, and Discover online. Please note that there is a 2.45% convenience charge on all credit card payments.

How can I search for a specific permit/license/planning project/violation?

You can use the search text box at the top of the page on the One Stop App to find specific items. The search text box is located in the blue stripe across the top of any page within the One Stop App.

  • A permit/license etc. number, if you know it.
  • A permit/license etc. reference code, if you know it.
  • A street address: use only the house number, and street, do not include city, state, or zip code. This will give you all of the results associated with this address if there are multiple permits or other cases.
  • A person's name, e.g. a contractor, architect, or applicant.

After you enter the information in the search text box, click the Search button next to the text box to see your results.

I forgot my password.

If you remember your user name, you can have a new, random password emailed by clicking on the "Forgot Password" link on the log in page, or by clicking here. You will only need to know the email address you used when you registered.

What address should I use for my oversize load application?

If your destination is in New Orleans, please use that address. If you are passing through New Orleans, use 1300 Perdido St (the address of City Hall). There is a place farther down in the application to select from a list of common routes, or type in your own.

I made a mistake on my application - how can I fix that?

If the status of your application still says "Draft Application" you can click the link that says "Edit" directly under your permit or license title on the Your Items page.

If you have already submitted your application, you will not be able to edit it online. This is to ensure that the application isn't changing while it's under review without the knowledge of the division reviewing it.

To make changes or withdraw a permit application, please call (504) 658-7100 and select the appropriate division (e.g. Building, Mechanical, Electrical). If you need to change or withdraw an occupational license application, select Zoning.

When do building permits expire?

Building permits expire 6 months after the date of issuance, unless you have had inspections before that time.

I can't find my address in the application Location search

If your address doesn't show up in the Location search, first double-check the spelling. Also, check the following if they apply:

  • Try leaving off the street type (e.g. Court, Lane, Alley). Many variations on abbreviations are accepted, but some abbreviations of less common street types may not be recognized.
  • For numbered streets, First through Ninth Streets are spelled out (First St, Second St, Third St, etc instead of 1st St, 2nd St, 3rd, etc). 10th and above are numeric.
  • Some streets have formal, legal names that are spelled differently than as seen on many street signs. For instance, Saigon Drive is spelled Sai Gon Drive.

If you still can't find your address after verifying the spelling and abbreviations, you may need to request a new address. Complete OSS_SP_MUNICIPAL_ADDRESS_CHANGE_APPLICATION_SUPPLEMENT_M, and scan the completed form to We will verify that the address you are requesting is appropriate for that block and notify you of how to file your application. Filing an official address request with us will also ensure that 911, Entergy, and Sewerage & Water Board will be notified of your address.

Can I request a new address (or remove an address) online?

It's not possible at present to file a Change of Address request online.

If you need to request the creation of a new address or the removal of an existing address (e.g. if you're converting a double to a single family home), please fill out OSS_SP_MUNICIPAL_ADDRESS_CHANGE_APPLICATION_SUPPLEMENT_M and scan the completed form to us at We will verify that the requested address is appropriate for that location and notify other agencies such as 911, Entergy, and Sewerage and Water Board.

I had access to mechanical/electrical permits, but now I don't.

Your license must be current and valid to be able to use the mechanical and electrical permit types. If your license expires, you will lose access until you have renewed it. Once your renewal is issued, you don't have to do anything more to regain access to your permit types.

It's not possible to renew your license online, but you can find the renewal forms and requirements at the following links:

If you believe your license status is in error, please call (504) 658-7100 and select the appropriate division.

Where can I find more information about STRs?

Our Short Term Rental (STR) information page has information about licensing requirements, fees, building code standards, enforcement and more. You can also email the Short Term Rental team at or call them at (504) 658-7144.

Someone else filed my permit application - how can I view it?

You can view a permit application at any time, whether you are logged into the One Stop App or not. At the top of the page, there is a search text box that says "Search a number, name or address". You can search by:

  • Permit number
  • Reference code (a six-character letter and number code)
  • Street address
  • Applicant or contractor name

See our Searching help topics for more information.


Who should I contact if my permit hasn't been approved yet?

The Traffic Division of the Department of Public Works reviews and approves Oversize Load permit applications. They can be reached at (504) 658-8040.

How can I extend a building permit that hasn't expired yet?

If you're approaching your permit expiration date and you know the work will not be complete by then, you can extend your permit another 6 months by requesting a General Inspection. Call the Building Inspector on duty at (504) 658-7135 to schedule your inspection.

My new password doesn't work.

New passwords are a random string of characters, including non-alphanumeric characters, and they are case-sensitive (i.e. whether a letter is upper or lower case matters). Double-check that you are entering the characters correctly. If you're using copy-and-paste, make sure you're not picking up any characters before or after the password.

You can also have another new password issued by going to the "Forgot Password" link again. Whenever you trigger a new password, it will replace the old ones.

If the problem persists, be sure to check that you're using the correct username - you can verify the username you registered with by using the Forgot User Name link.

How can I search for all or some records in a particular category?

Advanced Search, the link to the right of the Search button at the top of every One Stop App page, offers more opportunities to search by different categories, including description key words, City Council district, types of cases, the case's current status, and the filing date.

For instance, to view all applications for new Business (Occupational) Licenses in the last 30 days, choose Licenses on the Advanced Search page, and then select Business License from the list of Case Types, and enter both the Start Date and End Date that you would like to search, and then click the green Search button at the bottom of the page.

In order to use Advanced Search, you will need to be logged in as a registered One Stop App user. There is more information about how to register available here.


How do I pay for my permit/license?

Your permit or license will be payable once it reaches "Approved" status. The only exceptions to this are the NCDAC fee for demolition permit applications within the Neighborhood Conservation District, and the application fee for parade permits. 

Once your permit or license has been approved, you will get an email notification. When you log into the One Stop App and go to the "Your Items" page, you will see a "Pay Fees" link directly below your permit/license address. Clicking that link will add your fee(s) to a shopping cart. If you have more than one item ready for payments, you can return to Your Items and add up to 10 fees to your cart.

If you are not the original applicant, or if you filed in person at City Hall, you can still pay for a permit or license online. You must be logged in as a user to pay, but you don't need to be the user who created the application. You can find the permit or license that you want to pay for by using the "Search a number, name or address" text box, and then click the "Pay Fees" link as above.

On the shopping cart page, you can enter your Visa/MasterCard/Discover card number, expiration date, and security code. If your billing address is the same as the mailing address you used when you registered, you can click the "Pay Now" button. If you are using a card with a different billing address, please make sure to click the "Specify my billing information" button.

As soon as your permit or license is paid for, you will be able to download the document.

Do I need to register to use the One Stop App?

You do not need to register for the One Stop App if you want to search for existing permits/licenses/code violations/planning projects, or download public documents.

You will need to register to do the following:

  • Apply for permits/licenses
  • Pay for permits/licenses
  • Use Advanced Search

You can begin your registration here. You should get a verification email shortly after filling out the registration page. Clicking the link in the verification email will complete your registration and return you to the One Stop App, where you can begin applying, paying, or searching.

I didn't get my verification email.

If it's been several minutes since you registered and you still haven't received your verification email, first, check your spam or junk folders for a message from If you don't find the message there, you can return to the One Stop App and enter your username and password. That will give you a new opportunity to resend the email. If the problem persists after that, please notify us at

When I try to pay, the website redirects me to a "Welcome" page.

You must be registered and logged in to make a payment. If you've already registered, you can log in on the Welcome page. There's also a Register link at the top of the page. See more about registration here.

Can I export information?

Yes, you can export up to 200 records from any search you perform on the One Stop App (basic or advanced), or Your Items or your Watchlist.

Every permit/license etc. in search results has a check box to the left of its address or title. You can select items individually for export by checking their boxes one by one, or you can use the dropdown list above the results list and choose All Items. After you have made your selections, use the dropdown list right next to the All Items/Selected Items to choose Export. If there are more than 200 items, you will be notified, and you might need to narrow your search (e.g. by selecting a shorter date range, selecting a specific a case type, etc.).

I forgot my user name.

You can have your user name emailed to you by clicking on the "Forgot User Name" link on the log in page, or by clicking here. You only need to know the email address you registered with.

How can I check progress on my reviews and inspections?

Click "Print Summary" link beneath your permit address when you are viewing it in Your Items or in search results. Print Summary opens a printable web page that includes the current status of your permit, any review comments that have been made, and results of any inspections that have occurred. You should also receive an email or Plan Review Letter with all your application review comments, but you can preview the same comments at that link.

How can I renew a building permit that has expired?

If your building permit has expired, you can request a renewal by creating a new permit application of the same type, and including in the Description section that this application is a request for renewal. Please include the permit number. There is a minimum $65.00 charge for renewing an expired building permit, but you will not be charged again for review fees or for a percentage of the construction value that has already been paid for (if your construction value has increased, you may need to pay a percentage of the difference).

What should I enter for "Business Name"?

For the "Business Name" question on the application, enter your own name or the name of the person responsible for the rental listing.

What should I enter for "Description"?

Enter a short description of what sort of rental you're offering. E.g. "Two bedrooms in my home", "Half of a double with three bedrooms", etc. You will be able to enter more specific information in the application questions that follow.

How can I extend a dumpster/construction zone permit

To extend a dumpster/construction zone permit online, create a new dumpster/construction zone permit application and state in the Description section that it is a request for extension of your current permit (please include your original permit number). 

Can I pay for my permit if I wasn't the one who applied for it?

Yes, you can pay for any permit as long as it is:

  1. Ready to be paid for, and
  2. You are logged in to the One Stop App. You may need to register first if you don't already have a One Stop App account.

You will be able to download your permit or license pdf on completion of the payment.

Read more about making payments online.

Where can I find more information, or information that's not available at the One Stop App?

If you are interested in permit information, the City of New Orleans Open Data portal at The primary permit dataset, NOLA Permits BLDS is available here, and it is updated nightly. 

There are many more options for sorting and filtering permit data in the NOLA Permits dataset than in the One Stop App advanced search, and you can also export more than 200 records. You can watch a short tutorial on to apply filters here. You can also save filtered views, so you don't need to recreate them each time you need to use the same view.

If the data you are looking for is not available at either the One Stop App or the Open Data portal, you can file a public records request at the City's public records portal here.

When I try to pay, the Checkout page says "One or more of the permits selected is not eligible for payment."

Permit and Occupational License fees are only payable online once the permit has reached the status "Permit Approved" or the License has reached the status "Approved". You can view the latest status of your application on your Your Items page. If your fees are payable, you will see a "Pay Fees" link directly under your permit address or license type.

What does "Draft Application" mean?

If your permit or license application status says "Draft Application", that means that you have not yet completed and submitted it to us. Like a draft email, you can start an application and save it if you're not ready to finish it and submit/send right away.

As long as your application status is "Draft Application", it will not appear for our reviewers to begin the approval process. You will still be able to edit it by clicking the "Edit" link below your license or permit title (next to "Print Summary" and "Add to Watch List"). 

To submit your application, click the "Edit" link, check that all required fields (with a red asterisk) are completed, and click the "Submit" button at the bottom of the page. If nothing required is missing, that will open a Verification or Attestation form. Typing your name into the bottom of the Verification or Attestation form is the equivalent of signing your application. When you submit the Verification or Attestation form, your permit or license status will change to "Application Submitted", and it will be visible to our reviewers.

If you are missing any required information when you try to submit, you will be notified of what field needs to be corrected. Once you have corrected the problem, click the "Submit" button again to complete your application.

Please note: "View & Print" and "Save Changes" do not submit your application to us. You can click those buttons at any time and still be able to edit your application before submitting.

Can I add documents after my application is submitted?

If you were the original web applicant, and you are logged in with the same web account you used to file the application, you can still add documents to your application (although you cannot change any of the text fields). Documents can be added by the original web applicant up until the permit has been approved. Nothing can be added after approval or issuance.

If those conditions are true, you can add documents by navigating to your permit application in the "Your Items" page and clicking the "View" link directly below the permit address on the application you would like to update. "View" will take you back to the original web form - all of the text fields will be grayed out (i.e. not editable), but you can still scroll down to the "Submit a General Document" section and follow the directions there.

Please note, that you cannot upload more than 25 mb of documents at one time. If you have one file greater than 25 mb you will either need to break it up into smaller files, or contact your reviewer to arrange delivery. If you have multiple files that total more than 25 mb together, you must upload them in batches smaller than 25 mb at one time.

I got an "AVS mismatch" error when I tried to pay.

If you received the following message after trying to pay:

There was a problem submitting your payment. Please correct the issue and try again. message was: The transaction has been declined because of an AVS mismatch. The address provided does not match billing address of cardholder.

Your credit card billing address did not match your One Stop App mailing address. 

To use a card with a different address from your One Stop App mailing address, click the "Specify my billing information" button just above the "Pay now" button on the checkout page.

To change your default One Stop App mailing address, click on your username at the top of any page where it says "Hello, [username]!"

How can I renew an occupational license?

One Stop Shop can only take applications for new license, or for businesses that are relocating. You can renew your license with the Bureau of Revenue by coming to City Hall, 1300 Perdido St., RM 1W15, or by using one of their Pay Tax Online links. You can find more contact information for the Bureau of Revenue here.

What contact type should I choose if I'm not the owner?

You can select "Agent" if you are not the owner of the property you're renting. Our staff will update your contact type in the course of reviewing your application.

(NOTE: If you aren't the owner, you will need to provide a letter from your landlord agreeing to your use of the property as a short term rental.)

How can I change my business address?

If you are changing your mailing address, but not the physical location of your business, you can fill out the Bureau of Revenue's mailing address change web form.

If the physical location of the business is changing (including home-based businesses), you can use the Business License application at Please include your current City tax account number in the Description section of the application.

Where is the link to upload more documents after I submit my application?

If you are logged in to the same web account you used to submit your permit application online, you can use the View link directly below your permit address in Your Items:


The View link will reopen the application web form, and you can scroll down to the Document Submittal section and upload one or more documents. You will not be able to edit any of the text fields in the web form, you will only be able to add documents. Only the web user who created the application can add documents to it. If you didn't apply online, or if you're not the original applicant and your application reviewer has requested additional documents, please send them to the email address that your reviewer has provided in the review comments. If your reviewer did not include any contact information, please contact Warren Jones, Chief Building Plans Examiner, at

Where can I make a complaint about a Short Term Rental violation?

You can report a Short Term Rental violation anonymously using our Report a Violation web form. You can also report a violation by emailing the Short Term Rental Administration at If you would like to check whether a property has a Short Term Rental, you can search the address at or check our Short Term Rental Registry.

Can I renew my mechanical or electrical license online?

No, it's not possible to renew a trade license online. You can find information about renewing your license(s) at our Electrical / Mechanical Contractor page. You may also want to check our Trade License Checklist to make sure you have everything you need before you come in to the One Stop Shop.

Add to Twitter Add to Facebook Add to LinkedIn Add to Google Bookmarks Add to Reddit

Last updated: 10/27/2017 11:07:45 AM

Was this page helpful?


 Security code