Site Policies and Information
Collection of Information by NOLA.gov
In order to improve the content and usability of this website, the City of New Orleans (the "City") automatically collects several categories of information from users. This information may include any or all of the following:
- The apparent Internet Protocol ("IP") address of your Internet Service Provider ("ISP") and/or your computer, if your computer has an IP address assigned directly to it.
- The apparent Fully Qualified Domain Name ("Domain Name") of your Internet Service Provider ("ISP") and/or your computer, if your computer has a domain name assigned directly to it.
- The type of web browser (such as, for example Chrome, Internet Explorer, Opera, Mozilla Firefox, etc.) used and the operating system resident on a user's computer.
- The date and time a user visited the site.
- The web pages accessed at the site, as well as any applications used and forms data.
- The Uniform Resource Locator ("URL") of the site which a user visited prior to NOLA.gov (if detectable), if such user did not connect directly to NOLA.gov, or use it as a homepage or "Portal.
The City uses this information to identify site performance needs; to ensure compatibility with the technology used by NOLA.gov's visitors, and to generally add and improve services offered on NOLA.gov. In order to accomplish those goals, from time to time, the City may conduct statistical analysis of the data it collects.
The City does not collect data for commercial purposes, and the City does not sell, exchange or otherwise distribute the data collected by NOLA.gov for commercial or marketing purposes.
Information Submitted to NOLA.gov
During a session on NOLA.gov, a user may affirmatively submit information to the City by, among other means, electronic mail ("e-mail"), by filling in and submitting an on-line form, or by electing to personalize NOLA.gov and use it as a customized portal when such technology is made available. Such affirmatively submitted information is stored in a secure environment, and will be used by the City in furtherance of its duties and/or obligations to its citizenry (i.e., "governmental purposes").
The governmental purposes to which affirmatively submitted information may be put include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Helping the City respond to a request for information not readily available from NOLA.gov
- Investigating a problem reported to the City via NOLA.gov
- Keeping lists of parties interested in some particular issue or facet of New Orleans life about which the City anticipates issuing further information in the future.
- Disclosure of such information pursuant to a request made under the Public Records Act ("PRA") or court order, if such information is not protected by federal or state law.
The City does not rent or sell personally identifiable information (i.e., information such as name, address, phone number, e-mail, etc., that identifies a user as a particular person), nor would the City exchange or trade such information with third-parties without a user's explicit permission. The City does not disclose credit card or other personally identifiable financial information other than as necessary to complete a credit card or other financial transaction, or upon explicit permission from the applicable user. All such use by the City of financial information shall be subject to the section of this policy on financial issues, set forth below.
If a NOLA.gov user has elected not to receive further information from the City, NOLA.gov will not send such information. If a NOLA.gov user has elected to receive further communication from the City, NOLA.gov will only send information in categories that have been authorized. If NOLA.gov sends electronic mail ("e-mail") to a user, such e-mail is NOT confidential, and is identical in nature to that information generally available to the public and news media.
In certain instances, a user may have the opportunity to receive or create a password to access or submit personally identifiable information. One should not divulge a password to anyone, and the City will never ask a user for a password in a telephone call, fax, e-mail or other form of unsolicited communication. When a user is finished with an application or applications that are password protected, such user should exit the relevant page(s). If the browser used to access said password protected pages is a publicly-accessible browser, users should close down the entire session and, if applicable or possible, flush any temporary caches or other areas where such a password might be stored subsequent to use.
The City has integrated industry standard or better security measures and systems into the design, implementation and day to day operation of NOLA.gov and its underlying servers and networks. Furthermore, the City maintains ongoing efforts to identify and/or block unauthorized intrusions into or onto NOLA.gov, and to upload to or change information on or otherwise cause damage to NOLA.gov or the information resident hereon or submitted hereto.
This website and NOLA.gov generally, do not use "persistent cookies." Cookies are text files, or entries in larger files, utilized to distinguish between visitors to a website, and to track information during multiple visits to a website. The City uses "temporary cookies" on some parts of NOLA.gov, and such temporary cookies expire upon the end of the browsing session. If a user registers to use NOLA.gov, when such technology becomes available, as a customized portal, the City uses a persistent cookie to facilitate such customization.
No applications on NOLA.gov specifically solicit information from minors or seek to determine whether the visitor is a minor. Consequently, because such information will not be specifically identified as being from minors, users of NOLA.gov should be aware that personally identifiable information submitted to NOLA.gov by minors will be subject to being treated in the same manner as information given by an adult and may become subject to PRA.
The City strongly believes that parental supervision is an important factor in Internet use by minors. Therefore, NOLA.gov asks parents to guide their minor children when children are asked to provide any personal information online. NOLA.gov further asks that children ask for and receive their parent's permission before providing any information online.
Health Care Information
Any agency providing personally identifiable health care information via NOLA.gov will be required to certify that its health care data handling and security procedures are compliant with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 ("HIPAA"). If such data and security services are provided to such agency(ies) by a third-party provider, the agency(ies) shall be responsible for such third party's compliance with HIPAA.
Complete EMS HIPAA form.
Third Party Links
The content of NOLA.gov's webpages is copyrighted, and contains some third party images/graphics that are used with permission. Users are notified, therefore, that one should presume the need to obtain permission from the copyright holder before reproducing or otherwise using images/graphics from this website.
Individual City agencies are responsible for the content of their Web pages on NOLA.gov under the general direction of the Office of Information Technology & Innovation and the rules it adopts. The Office of Information Technology & Innovation and Mayor’s Office of Communications are responsible for the content of administrative and general-content pages on NOLA.gov. NOLA.gov home page news items are gathered from information published elsewhere on the site, and compiled by the Mayor’s Office of Technology staff, to emphasize in an equitable fashion the programs, services, events and announcements from City agencies of interest to the general public. The Mayor’s Office of Technology staff will edit information on the home page, correct misspelled words, typographical errors and grammar or syntax that is unclear so that content works within the displayed area. Additional items also may be sent to the Mayor’s Office of Technology for consideration of inclusion on the NOLA.gov home page by City employees and officials. Selections are influenced by adherence to the City Charter and the Office of Information Technology & Innovation rules, available space and timeliness. Anonymous submissions are not accepted.
The City of New Orleans does not make any warranties or representations with respect to the content, quality, accuracy or completeness of any information or materials contained on the NOLA.gov or through links to other servers, including but not limited to: text, graphics, applications, databases, services, or any other information or materials. Nor shall the City of New Orleans assume any legal liability for the content, quality, accuracy or completeness of said information and materials.
The information and materials contained on this web site have been compiled from a variety of sources and, as such, are subject to change without notice. In no event will the City of New Orleans be liable for any damages, whether direct, indirect, general, consequential, incidental, exemplary or special, arising from the use of information provided on this server or through links to any other servers.
Communications to city agencies or representatives through tools provided by this web site shall in no way be deemed to constitute legal or official notice to the City of New Orleans, its agencies, officers, employees, representatives or agents with respect to any existing, pending or future claim or cause of action against the City of New Orleans or any of its agencies, officers, employees, representatives or agents where notice is required by Federal, State or local law. No communications to the City via this web site will be deemed to constitute legal or official notice for any other purpose.
NOLA.gov may change these policies from time to time, and reserves the right to do so without notice.
Social Media Policy
- The City of New Orleans reserves the right, at any time and without prior notice, to deny access to City of New Orleans Government official social media page(s) to anyone who violates this policy.
- The City of New Orleans Government has the right to restrict or remove any comments/content that are deemed in violation of the City of New Orleans’ Social Media Policy or applicable law.
- Our goal is to provide and maintain a fair and respectful online environment for everyone in our community. Social media pages are managed by the City of New Orleans Digital Communications team and are not monitored 24/7. Social network sites shall be used to promote subjects including but not limited to the City, City services, job opportunities and City events.
- The City of New Orleans Government welcomes a person’s right to express his/her opinion and encourages posters to keep comments related to the subject presented by the City of New Orleans. The City of New Orleans’ social media page(s) are not designated, nor intended to be a platform for political expression. Comments posted by others on The City of New Orleans’ Government’s social media page(s) are not to be considered the opinion of the City nor does the City of New Orleans endorse any third-party comments.
- Criteria to edit or remove content:
- Content that promotes, fosters, or perpetuates the discrimination of a specific person on the basis of race, creed, color, age, religion, gender, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, naturalization status, national origin, physical or mental disability or sexual orientation;
- Sexual content, links to sexual content, obscene or pornographic content/comments;
- Conduct or encouragement of illegal activity;
- Content that is hateful or threatens to incite violence upon any person or organization;
- Information that may tend to compromise the safety or security of the public or public systems;
- The City of New Orleans’ Government social media guidelines can be found at https://nola.gov/site
The site is written in HTML5 with Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) and jQuery.
Hosted by Google Fonts.
Unless noted, all icons are from The Noun Project