Class "A" Master Mechanical Contractor License (AC, Refrigeration, and Gasfitters)

According to the International Code Council (ICC) and Louisiana Contractors Board as adopted by the City of New Orleans, mechanical contractors performing work within the City of New Orleans are required to obtain and renew annually a Mechanical Contractor License from the City. Gasfitters with ICC certifications can also apply for a Class A A/C Refrigeration license – you may hold either or both, however each have separate tests and separate payments. If you are a State Contractor – statewide you qualify for the Master Gasfitters License.


One year, renewed on your birthday (late fees apply starting the day after).


Only one Class "A" Master (A/C, Refrigeration and Gasfitters) Mechanical Contractor License holder is allowed per company.


  • Exam fee – determined by the ICC
  • $110 fee for the license (Active)
  • $25 fee for the license (Inactive)
  • License renewal late fees are determined by the number of months from the date of your birthday which is your renewal date. It is $10 for each month you are delinquent.

Required Documents

Before your new license can be issued you must submit the following that apply to you. There will be no exceptions. Failure to provide the required information will cause a delay of issuance of your license. You must apply in person only if you are a new applicant.

  • You must submit passing letter from ICC ( or if state tested, a copy of State License (State Wide) qualifying party letter and all listed requirements. For National Testing: International Code Council (877) 783-3926. For State Testing: Louisiana State Licensing Board for Contractors (225) 765-2301 (2525 Quail Dr. Baton Rouge, La 70808).
  • Be 18 years of age or older.
  • Complete the respective Mechanical license application.
  • Two current small passport size photos for each license
  • Current proof of insurance. General Liability not less than $500,000 and Workers Compensation no less than the State requirement, both with the City of New Orleans listed as the certificate holder. (Note: In a situation where applicant claims to have no employees, a notarized affidavit will be needed)
  • Verify Louisiana General Sales Tax Number from the Department of Revenue and Taxation. Visit
  • Proof of Occupational/ General Business License. If out of Orleans Parish you must register your Parish Occupational License with the City of New Orleans in Room 1W15 located in City Hall with a copy of your Louisiana General Sales Tax Number and a copy of your Parish Occupational License.
  • Federal ID Number
  • State of Louisiana copy of the Articles of Incorporation and Initial Report of (company name)
  • Copy of Drivers License or State Identification
  • Applicable fee
  • Inactive Status: Class "A" Contractors may, by written request and approval from the Director, change his/her license to inactive status. Must still be renewed each year.


If you are interested in renewing your license, you may do so by mail or in person. Licenses need to be renewed each year on or before the applicant’s birthday. Please submit a copy of your most recent City mechanical license with your renewal application materials.

Note: If your license has lapsed for more than two years, you will be required to take and pay for another test.

Service provided by

Bureau of Revenue - Sales Tax

(504) 658-1616 (504) 658-1630 (504) 658-1634 Email Email
1300 Perdido Street 1W15 New Orleans, LA 70112


1340 Poydras Street Suite 800 New Orleans, LA 70112


You may also be interested in