Presently we are only accepting applications for the issuance of new CPNCs for AT Taxicab (Wheelchair-accessible), Courtesy, Non-Emergency Medical Transportation, General Charter, and Sightseeing.
All available CPNC numbers for Taxicabs, Pedicabs, Animal Drawn, have been awarded.
Certificates of Public Necessity (or CPNCs) are required of all for hire vehicles - AT Taxicab (Wheelchair-accessible), Pedicabs, Animal Drawn, Courtesy, Limousine, Taxicab, Non-Emergency Medical Transportation, General Charter, School Bus, Charter Party Carrier (Party Bus), Sightseeing - to ensure that every City of New Orleans’ citizen and visitor has access to safe, efficient, reliable, and accessible for hire transportation. Before applying, please familiarize yourself with New Orleans City Code, Chapter 162 and govern yourself accordingly.
Additionally, we strive to ensure that every customer is treated with courtesy, dignity and genuine hospitality. We understand that these services are essential to the city’s overall tourism and business industry; therefore, our goal is to work with the citizens, for hire industries, tourism industries, and various stakeholders to implement the highest service standard. These service standards will ensure customer satisfaction and promote the core values and objectives of the New Orleans Taxicab and For Hire Vehicle Bureau.
Please view the CPNC 101 page for more information
|Animal Drawn Carriage
|Taxi & AT
- Unless scheduled for a later date, in the month following the renewal deadline, a renewal fee and penalty of $150.00
- Unless scheduled for a later date, in the 2nd month following the renewal deadline, $150.00 penalty for the first month plus $150 penalty for the second month $150.00.
- CPNCs not renewed within 3 months of the Expiration Date (within 2 months of the Renewal Deadline) will be suspended and set for revocation
- You must be at least 18 years of age
- You must be a citizen or permanent resident of the U.S.
- In order to obtain or maintain a CPNC, the applicant, CPNC holder, or someone working on his/her behalf must not offer or give any gift or gratuity to any employee, representative, public servant, or member of the Bureau.
- Any vehicle which has ever been issued the title class of either “salvage”, “rebuilt”, “junk”, “total loss”, “reconditioned” or any equivalent classification; any vehicle previously used as a taxicab or law enforcement vehicle, in any jurisdiction, may not be placed in service as a for-hire vehicle.
- No licenses shall be granted if the applicant fails to meet the requirements of Chapter 162 of the New Orleans City Code (“Chapter 162”)_ or if the applicant provides the Bureau with false, misleading or incomplete information. Licenses issued on the basis of material false, misleading or incomplete information furnished by the applicant may be revoked by the director of the department of safety and permits.
The Director of the Department of Safety and Permits, or a duly designated agent, is hereby given authority to deny any CPNC for due cause whenever such party has to his/her discredit one of the following:
- Finding by the Bureau after administrative hearings as set out hereinafter, that the holder of the CPNC has failed to comply with the provisions of Chapter 162;
Investigation by the Bureau revealing that the CPNC holder falsified or concealed information, which would have disqualified such applicant as a recipient of a CPNC license under this chapter, will result in denial of the CPNC licenses.
Due at the time of issuance:
- General: $100
- Courtesy Vehicle: $300
- AT (Wheel-chair accessible) Taxi: $300
- To begin the process, you must present:
- A notarized completed application and all required documents must be delivered in person to New Orleans City Hall, One Stop Shop, 7th floor.
- Proof of Residency (must be dated six months prior to application date and in applicants name) (Utility bill, water bill, landline telephone bill, mortgage statement or notarized rental agreement)
- DEADLINE: you must submit your completed application packet with all required documents by 3:00 pm on the 2nd Friday of every month prior to the scheduled public hearing.
- If you meet all the requirements, the Ground Transportation Bureau office will put your CPNC request on the hearing agenda.
- At the public hearing you have the opportunity to present your business and why you should be granted a CPNC
- If awarded a CPNC, you will be required to submit further documentation, including:
- Vehicle registration in the name of the applicant
- Proof of insurance (policy declaration, certificate of liability insurance – insurance requirement applies). City of New Orleans must be listed as a certificate holder.
- City of New Orleans Occupational License (one license required per business or individual, not per CPNC number)
- An original signed letter on company letterhead in which the CPNC will operate
- According to Section 162-199 of the City's municipal code, all CPNC holders must maintain a business office with a telephone number in the parish
- Depending on the specific type of CPNC, further restrictions and documentation may apply, please refer to the New Orleans City Code Section 162. If additional information is needed, please contact email@example.com or (504) 658-7170.
- A letter from the for hire vehicle company under which the CPNC will be operating
- If operating as a corporation, association or partnership:
- All of the partners or the principal officers of the organization, and the person actually exercising the executive direction of the organization shall be required to submit applications individually. All of the provisions applicable to individuals shall apply to and be required of such principal partners or officers, and the failure of any of them to meet such requirements shall be grounds to deny the application of such corporation, association or partnership
- Valid LA driver’s license or state ID (the address must match your proof of residence)
- Proof of Residence for at least 6 months from date of application. The applicant must reside in Orleans, Jefferson, St. Bernard, St. Tammany, Plaquemines, St. Charles, St. John the Baptist, or St. James Parish. Acceptable Documents: Utility bill, water bill, landline telephone bill, mortgage or notarized rental agreement in applicant’s name.
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship – acceptable documents: Birth Certificate, Certificate of Naturalization, valid U.S. Passport or Permanent Residence Card
- Proof of insurance relevant to the type of CPNC applied for.
- Vehicle Registration
- CPNC Special Inspection Form