Mobile Ice Cream Vendor Permit

If you are interested in selling ice cream from a mobile vehicle, you must first obtain a City-issued Mobile Ice Cream vendor permit (mayoralty permit) and an occupational license. This guide will help you understand how to apply, and if you are approved, what general requirements you will need to abide by.


  • Permits and correlating licenses expire on December 31st and renewals thereof shall be made by January 31st.  
  • As of January 1st, 2014, all mobile ice cream vendors must comply with the Prerequisites for Application
  • As of January 1st, 2014, there is a limit of 25 Mobile Ice Cream Vendor Permits per calendar year.    No permit shall be issued until the City receives and approves a completed application.
  • Licenses and permits must be displayed and affixed to the front windshield in the lower corner on the passenger side.  No other signage or other obstructions shall block the vehicle windows besides required permits and licenses.
  • Advertising decals are limited to the name of the permitted vendor, the types of wares permitted for purchase, and the price lists of those items.  Product decals and price lists may only be displayed on the passenger side.
  • Vendors must obey all applicable traffic and vehicle safety laws, regulations, and restrictions.
  • All sales must take place between 11:00 AM and 8:00 PM.
  • Mobile Ice Cream Vendors may only sell: pre-wrapped or prepackaged ice cream, frozen yogurt, frozen custard, frozen or soft-serve dairy products, or similar frozen dessert products.
  • Vendors may only sell food items as outlined above; no other goods, wares, or other items may be sold.
  • Mobile Ice Cream Vendors may ONLY operate in residential zoning districts as defined by the New Orleans Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance as amended.
  • Mobile Ice Cream Vendors may not operate:
  • Within 40 feet of any intersection;
  • Within 40 feet of any stop sign, flashing beacon, yield sign, or other traffic control signal located on the side of a roadway;
  • On any street where the speed limit exceeds 25 miles per hour;
  • In any manner that impedes the flow of vehicular or pedestrian traffic on any public street or sidewalk.
  • No vendor may vend at the same location more than once a day or longer than 30 continuous minutes without moving the vehicle at least 1,000 feet away.
  • Vending can only take place on the passenger side of the truck.
  • Vendors must pull as far as practical to the side of the street when stopping to make sales.
  • Emergency flashers must be operating at all times while vendor is stationary.
  • No vendor may sell alcoholic beverages, controlled substances, or any other illegal item.
  • No horns, amplification systems, or other sound-producing devices or music systems may be used when the truck is stationary or at any time other than authorized times of operation.
  • Mobile Ice Cream Vendor Permits are NOT valid in these locations and/or times:
  • Any non-residential zoning designations;
  • The Central Business District, bounded by: the Mississippi River, the northbound side of North Rampart Street, Iberville Street, and Howard Avenue and Andrew Higgins Drive;
  • The entirety of the Vieux Carre (French Quarter), bounded by: Iberville Street, the Northbound side of North Rampart Street, Esplanade Avenue and the Mississippi River;
  • Within two blocks of any elementary or secondary school when school is in session
  • During the Mardi Gras Season in the locations governed by sections 34-34 et. seq.;
  • During the Annual New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival Season within the area bounded by Florida Avenue on the north, North Broad Avenue on the east, Esplanade Avenue on the south, and Bayou St. John on the west (excluding the portion of that area contained within the exterior boundaries of the New Orleans Fair Grounds Racetrack) commencing at 7:00 AM on the first day of live music performances and continuing through and until 11:59 PM on the concluding day of live music performances; and
  • In a clean zone as authorized by an ordinance adopted by the Council.


  • A non-refundable initial application fee of $50.00;
  • If approved, a permit fee of $200.25, which shall be renewed annually;
  • If approved, an occupational license fee of $150.00, which shall be renewed annually;
  • If approved, a $50.00 sales tax deposit;
  • A $5.00 I.D. card fee per card; and
  • Any other applicable fee that may apply.

Required Documents

The application process begins with the City’s One Stop for licenses and permits, which is located on the 7th floor of City Hall (1300 Perdido Street).  Along with a completed application, on forms provided by the City, you must also have all of the documents, certifications and inspections listed below.  No application shall be processed until all required documentation is received.  No applicant is guaranteed a Permit. 

  • A copy of the vending vehicle’s valid registration with the Louisiana Department of Motor Vehicles.  All trucks must be registered in the State of Louisiana. 
  • A copy of your valid Louisiana Driver’s license.
  • A copy of automobile insurance for the vending vehicle, providing insurance coverage for any automobile accident that may occur while driving on the road.
  • All approvals, inspections, and certificates required by the State Department of Health and Hospitals.  For questions regarding the State Health requirements, please call 504-568-7970.
  • A copy of your commercial general liability insurance coverage policy with liability coverage of at least $500,000, naming the City as an insured party, providing insurance coverage for any accident that may occur while selling your food and conducting your business on the public rights-of-ways.  This coverage must be valid at the time of application and throughout the year when the permit is valid.  The official address of the City for insurance purposes is 1300 Perdido St., New Orleans, LA  70112.
  • A photo of the vehicle indicating the dimensions.  No vending vehicle can exceed 20 feet in length or 8 feet in width.

You will also need to obtain an occupational license, which allows you to do business in New Orleans, in addition to the Mobile Ice Cream vendor permit (mayoralty permit), in order to lawfully operate. Applying for and receiving this license is part of the permit application process; be sure that both items are included when you receive your permit.

 Any driver of a Mobile Ice Cream vendor vehicle must possess a valid Louisiana Driver’s license, as required by State law, and any driver and employee of a truck must possess a City-issued employee I.D. card.


One Stop 504.658.7100

Service provided by

Bureau of Revenue - Sales Tax

(504) 658-1666 (504) 658-1648 (504) 658-1606 Email Email
1300 Perdido Street 1W15 New Orleans, LA 70112