Healthy Homes is a program in place to protect the health, safety and welfare of the public by ensuring people who reside in Orleans Parish occupy safe and habitable housing. Effective January 1, 2024, owners of rental properties will be required to register for an Annual Healthy Homes Certificate of Compliance. Registration for the certificate of compliance is a requirement of the Healthy Homes Ordinance passed in November 2022.
At this time applications are only being accepted for Parcels with 50+ dwelling units - Jan. 1, 2024 – Feb. 15, 2024.
View the live stream
How Does it Work?
Current rental property owners are required to register residential property annually. Once verified a Certificate of Compliance will be issued.
The registry process will be implemented using a phased approach, based on the total number of units on each parcel. Registration must be completed during the following periods:
- Parcels with 50+ dwelling units - NOW until Feb. 15, 2024.
- Parcels with 4-49 dwelling units - July 1, 2024 – 15 Aug. 15, 2024.
- Parcels with 1-3 dwelling units - Jan. 1, 2025 – Feb. 15, 2025.
There are no fees imposed for timely registration. However, fees will be imposed if property owners do not register by the deadlines provided.
More information on the Healthy Homes Ordinance can be found here: Healthy Homes Ordinance
Landlord Registration Portal
Landlords will register by completing the paper application. Once completed in full, sign, scan and email to email@example.com for processing through the Department of Safety and Permits. There is no fee to register.
Tenant Complaint Process
Tenants may report potential violations set in the Minimum Property Maintenance Code by calling 3-1-1 or online at nola311.org . Tenants have the right to pursue the complaint process without fear of retaliation under the "protected activity" section.
For questions contact Healthy Homes at 504 658-7133 or
Healthy Homes Minimum Rental Standards
- Operable fire and smoke detection system and alarm.
- One or more bathtubs or showers, toilets, and kitchen sinks in good working order
- All kitchen sinks, bathtubs and showers have hot and cold running water.
- Water heating facilities in good working order and capable of providing adequate water at a minimum temperature of 110F.
- Heating facilities capable of maintaining a minimum room temperature of 68F.
- Cooling system capable of maintaining a maximum bedroom temperature of 80F 3' above the floor and 2' from exterior walls.
- Properly maintained electrical system.
- appliances provided by lessor are properly installed, operable and maintained in safe working condition.
- Roofs, windows and exterior doors adequate to prevent dampness or deterioration in walls or interior portions.
- No evidence of mold in unit.
- Interior surfaces are maintained free of significant cracking or decay and holes are sealed.
- Housing units and exterior property are free from visible rodent harborage and infestation.
We Are Hiring
Join our team!