Food Truck Permit

If you are interested in operating a food truck in any of the yellow areas Indicated on the City's Food Truck Operating Areas Map, you must first obtain a City-issued food truck permit (mayoralty permit) and an occupational license. This page will help you understand how to apply, and If you are approved, what general requirements you will need to abide by.


  • IMPORTANT: Mobile food truck means a double-axle vehicle that is completely mobile with no permanent fixed location, the vendor of which prepares all or most of its victuals on board the vehicle to serve or distribute to customers, in a form suitable for immediate ingestion or consumption.
  • Licenses and permits must be displayed and affixed to the front windshield in the lower corner on the passenger side.
  • Vendors must obey all applicable parking, traffic and vehicle safety laws, regulations, and restrictions.
  • This includes the feeding of parking meters.
  • Trucks can remain in one location no longer than 4 hours.
  • Trucks may only sell food; no other goods, wares, or other items may be sold.
  • Mobile food trucks may not operate:
    • Within 20 feet of any intersection;
    • Within 20 feet of any stop sign, flashing beacon, yield sign, or other traffic control signal located on the side of a roadway;
    • Within 3 feet of any public or private driveway, wheelchair ramp or bicycle ramp;
    • In any manner that impedes an exit or entrance of an operating building.
  • No vendor may sell alcoholic beverages, controlled substances, or any other illegal item.
  • No furniture, or any other objects can be placed in the street, sidewalk, or any right-of-way, except a trash receptacle.
  • All vendors must provide a trash receptacle within three feet of the front or back of the truck on a public street.  
  • All vendors must keep a 50 foot radius around the truck clean during operation and upon ceasing operation.
  • No horns, amplification systems, or other sound-producing devices or music systems which can be heard outside of the truck may be used.
  • No third party advertising may be displayed on any mobile food truck.
  • No permit is valid in any area of the City that is the color blue on the City's Food Truck Operating Area's map. If you desire to operate in a blue area, you must obtain a Franchise, approved by the City Council. If this is your desire, please see the Quick Reference Guide titled "Food Truck Franchises in New Orleans."
  • In addition to not being able to operate in any blue area on the City's Food Truck Operating Areas Map, the following areas and times are also prohibited:
    • The entirety of the Vieux Carre (French Quarter), bounded by: lberville Street, the Northbound side of North Rampart Street, Esplanade Avenue and the Mississippi River;
    • Within two blocks of any elementary or secondary school when school is in session;
    • During the Mardi Gras Season in the locations governed by sections 34-34 et. seq.;
    • During the Annual New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival Season within the area bounded by Florida Avenue on the north, North Broad Avenue on the east, Esplanade Avenue on the south, and Bayou St. John on the west (excluding the portion of that area contained within the exterior boundaries of the New Orleans Fair Grounds Racetrack) commencing at 7:00 a.m. on the first day of live music performances and continuing through and until 11:59 p.m. on the concluding day of live music performances;
    • In a clean zone as authorized by an ordinance adopted by the Council; and
    • When the City requires the use of its public right-of-way to facilitate projects or events within the right-of-way.


  • A non-refundable application fee of $50.00;
  • If approved, a food truck permit (mayoralty) fee of $400.25, which shall be renewed annually;
  • If approved, an occupational license fee of $150.00, which shall be renewed annually;
  • If approved, a $50.00 sales tax deposit, which shall be renewed annually;
  • A $5.00 I.D. card fee per card; and
  • Any other applicable fee that may apply.

Application Process

The application process begins with the City's Department of Safety and Permits, which is located at 1340 Perdido St, Suite 800, New Orleans, LA 70112. Along with a completed application, on forms provided by the City, you must also have all of the documents, certifications and inspections listed below. No application shall be processed until all required documentation is received. No applicant is guaranteed a Permit. 

  1. A copy of the mobile food truck's valid registration with the Louisiana Department of Motor Vehicles. All trucks must be registered in the State of Louisiana.
  2. A copy of automobile insurance for the mobile food truck, providing insurance coverage for any automobile accident that may occur while driving on the road.
  3. A copy of your commercial general liability insurance coverage policy with liability coverage of at least $500,000, naming the City as an insured party, providing insurance coverage for any accident that may occur while selling your food and conducting your business on the public rights-of-ways. This coverage must be valid at the time of application and throughout the year when the permit is valid. The official address of the City for insurance purposes is 1300 Perdido St., New Orleans, LA 70112.
  4. All approvals, inspections, and certificates required by the State Department of Health and Hospitals. For questions regarding the State Health requirements, please call 504-568-7970.
  5. All approvals, inspections, and certificates required by the New Orleans Fire Department. For questions regarding Fire requirements, please call 504-658-4770.
  6. A photo of the mobile food truck indicating the dimensions. No mobile food truck can exceed 26 feet in length or 8 feet in width.
  7. A copy of your valid Louisiana Driver's license.

You will also need to obtain an occupational license, which allows you to do business in New Orleans, in addition to the food truck permit (mayoralty permit), in order to lawfully operate your food truck. Applying for and receiving this license is part of the permit application process, be sure that both items are included when you receive your permit.

Any driver of a food truck must possess a valid Louisiana Driver's license, as required by State law, and any driver and employee of a food truck must possess a City-issued employee I. D. card.


Phone: One Stop 504.658.7100

Service provided by
1340 Poydras Street Suite 800 New Orleans, LA 70112