Stationary Food Vending Permit

If you are interested in selling fresh produce, seafood, or snowballs from a stationary vehicle, you must first obtain a City-issued Stationary Food Vending permit (mayoralty permit) and an occupational license. This page will help you understand how to apply, and if you are approved, what general requirements you will need to abide by.

Stationary food vendors are only allowed to operate in the blue areas indicated on the City's Food Truck Operating Areas Map,

Franchise or Stationary Food Truck Vendor Permit Checklist


  • Stationary Vehicle: a double-axle vehicle that is mobile, but vends in a permanent, fixed location.


After a traffic study, the City Council will review the study and determine if a franchise to operate a stationary food truck will be granted, and will set an annual franchise fee. Approval from the City Council must be granted via an ordinance at a public hearing. Legal requirements for the hearing can be found in the City Charter, Section 3-112 to 3-113.

Prohibited Locations

Franchises are prohibited in the following locations:

  • The Vieux Carre (French Quarter), bounded by:
    • Iberville Street
    • the northbound side of North Rampart Street
    • Esplanade Avenue
    • Mississippi River
  • Clean Zones. A Clean Zone is an area established by an ordinance adopted by the City Council, which suspends certain permits and transactions in designated areas of public property and outside of buildings during specific dates and times, such as during large events.
  • Certain locations during Mardi Gras, as per Section 34-34 of the City Code.
  • Within 20 feet of any intersection.
  • Within 20 feet of a stop sign or other traffic control signal.
  • Within 3 feet of a driveway, wheelchair ramp, or bicycle ramp.

Operational Restrictions

  • No horn, amplified sound, or other sound devices or music.
  • No vendor may sell alcoholic beverages, controlled substances, or any other illegal item.
  • Third-party advertising on the vehicle is not allowed.
  • No furniture can be placed on the street or sidewalk except for a trash receptacle.
  • Vendors must keep a 50-foot radius around the truck clean during and upon completion of operation.


  • A non-refundable initial application fee of $50.00.
  • If approved, a permit fee of $400.25, which shall be renewed annually.
  • If approved, an occupational license fee of $150.00, which shall be renewed annually.
  • If approved, a $50.00 sales tax deposit.
  • A $5.00 ID card fee per card.
  • An annual Franchise fee of up to $9,950.00, which will be determined by the City Council in the Franchise ordinance.
  • Any other applicable fees that may apply.

Required Documents

The application process begins with the City’s One Stop for licenses and permits, which is located on the 7th floor of City Hall (1300 Perdido Street).  Along with a completed application, on forms provided by the City, you must also have all of the documents, certifications and inspections listed below.  No application shall be processed until all required documentation is received.  No applicant is guaranteed a permit,

  • Occupational License. To receive your Tax ID number and Mayoralty Permit, begin by applying for an Occuational License. These licenses must be renewed annually through the Bureau of Revenue.
  • Sales Tax Requirements. All businesseses who sell food or other goods are required to register, obtain a license, and collect and remit taxes to the Bureau of Revenue - Sales Tax. These businesses will be mailed taxi returns each month and will be required to remit the taxes to the Bureau of Revenue by the 20th of the month following the month of collection. Learn more.

You can submit the following documents when you apply for your Occupational License.

  • Fire Department Application and Inspection. The Fire Department requires an application and inspection related to food and fire safety. Review the packet, complete the application, and bring it to 317 Decatur Street between 9:00 AM and 3:00 PM, Monday through Friday. An inspection can usually be conducted at the same time. The annual application fee is $50 (not included in the City fees above). For questions, please call Fire Prevention at (504) 658-4770.
  • State Health Permit. To obtain a State Health Permit, submit the Mobile Unit Plan Review Questionnaire and a detailed, scale-drawn floor plan to the Orleans Parish Sanitarian Gwen Shook at Applications will be reviewed within 10 days, and an inspection will be scheduled. State Health permit fees are $150 annually, which is not included in the City fees above. For questions, call (504) 568-7970.
    • For seafood vendors only: All approvals, inspections, and certificates required by the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries. For questions regarding the Wildlife and Fisheries requirements, please call (800) 256-2749.
  • Vehicle-Related Requirements:
    • Copy of the vehicle's valid registration with the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles.
    • Copy of a valid Louisiana driver's license fo reach approved driver.
    • Proof of automobile insurance for the vending vehicle, which provides insurance coverage for any accident while operating the vehicle.
  • Proof of Insurance. Food trucks must also have commercial general liability insurance coverage of at least $500,000. The City of New Orleans should be named as an insured party, providing insurance coverage for any incident that may occur while vending on public rights-of-way. The City of New Orleans' official address is 1300 Perdido Street, New Orleans, LA 70112. Insurance coverage must be valid at the time of application and be held continuously throughout the year while vending.
  • Photo of Vehicle. The photo should indicate the vehicle dimensions. Maximum allowable sizes are not to exceed 26 feet in length or 8 feet in width.
  • Location and Hours. The desired location to park the vehicle on a public street within the City. You must also provide the days of the week and the correlating hours that you will be vending at the location.   


Bureau of Revenue: (504) 658-1666 or (504) 658-1648

Service provided by

Bureau of Revenue - Sales Tax

(504) 658-1616 (504) 658-1630 (504) 658-1634 Email Email
1300 Perdido Street 1W15 New Orleans, LA 70112