Become a New Orleans Police Officer
Make a difference. Start a rewarding career. Join the New Orleans Police Department.
Competitive law enforcement salary and excellent benefits include:
- Outstanding retirement plan with benefits earned in as little as five years
- Affordable and quality health, vision, and dental insurance for you and your family
- Many types of additional, incentive and shift pay
- 10 paid holidays, 13 days of paid vacation, 13 days of paid sick leave, and 15 days of paid military reserve leave each year
- Home buying programs (http://makeitright.org/)
A new test is being administered.
A NEW practice test can be viewed HERE
- Walk in Testing. Local applicants should report to the Civil Service Department at 9:30 a.m. on any day of their choosing, Monday - Friday(excluding major holidays). Walk in testing will also be held on Wednesday evenings starting at 4:45 p.m. The Civil Service Department is located at 1340 Poydras Street, Suite 900, New Orleans, LA 70112. Saturday test sessions are also available by appointment.
- Advanced application (see application button below) is preferred, but not required. Applicants who do not complete an advanced application will be required to complete one at the time of the test.
- Applicants are required to bring a valid driver's license to the test. You will not be tested without this document. Submission of proof of education at the time of testing is preferred, but not required. Proof of education is required before you can be hired. Acceptable documents for proof of education are: an official high school diploma, an official G.E.D. issued by a state department of education, an official high school transcript indicating graduation date, an official college diploma, or an official college transcript indicating high school or college graduation date. Photocopies, wallet sized diplomas, and online high schools will not be accepted at the test.
- Testing takes 4-5 hours. Be sure to park in long term parking.
- Be sure to arrive on time. Testing will be held on a first come first served basis.
All out of area applicants are required to apply in advance (see the application button below). You will be scheduled for a three day process that includes multiple parts of the hiring process.
Other recent changes to the Police Recruit hiring process:
- Domicile requirements are now waived for Police Recruits and Officers.
- Earn $49,517 per year ($51,517 per year with a qualified Bachelor's degree) after one year of qualified service.
- College education/military requirements have been removed. If you applied previously and were rejected, you must reapply.
To apply, you must:
- be at least 20 years old.
- be licensed to drive with a good driving record and driving experience.
- be in good physical and psychological condition to perform the essential functions of the job of Police Officer.
- possess a state approved G.E.D./high school diploma.
Applicants must not have any disqualifiers, for example felonies, certain misdemeanors, or recent illegal drug use.
Submit your application online today
Get more information at JoinNOPD.org
The hiring process consists of the steps below. You must complete all of the steps to be hired.
- Multiple choice exam and writing exercise
- Physical Agility Test including push ups, sit-ups, and running
- Panel Interview
- Background Investigation including a CVSA test (a type of lie detector test)
- Substance Abuse Screening
- Medical exam
- Psychological/Psychiatric Evaluation
Police Recruit Job Announcement
Prescheduled Police Recruit multiple choice exams will be held on the dates listed below. Out of area candidates must apply with Civil Service and submit copies of the required documents to be scheduled for testing.
- February 19, 2018
- March 5, 2018
- April 9, 2018
- May 7, 2018
- June 11, 2018
Additional dates will be added as needed.
Submit your application online today
Applications can also be submitted:
- In person Monday - Friday 8 am to 5 pm at 1340 Poydras Street, Suite 900, New Orleans, LA 70112.
- By mail to 1340 Poydras Street, Suite 900, New Orleans, LA 70112. Application.pdf Personal-History-Form.pdf